,

Your IP Address

what is my ip address?

How to use the BBC code anchor and iurl tags to jump to an anchor in a post

I have a forum that uses bbc code and one day I had decided to make a page that required the user to be able to jump from section to section on that page. Here is the page Computer terms A-Z. I knew that I needed to use the anchor tag in conjunction with the iurl tag, however I couldn’t find an understandable explanation on the internet.
As I have a Simple Machines Forum, I needed instructions specific to that forum script. Some other forums use different tags like [aname] instead of [anchor] and [anchorlink] instead of [iurl]. I had to actually view the bbc code that my forum used to see which tags suited me. I found all the bbc code tags that my forum used in the admin section of the control panel.

How to write a link to jump to an anchor on the same page in bbc code

First you must create an anchor. A perfect example is when you press on a letter of the alphabet to take you to that corresponding section.
[anchor=A]A Section[/anchor] In this example is the anchor that is labeling A section.
[anchor=B]B Section[/anchor] In this example B is the anchor that is labeling B section.
So therefore when you type [iurl=#A]Click here to jump to A section[/iurl] you will be taken to anchor A which will jump you to the A section.

How to write a link to jump to an anchor in html
First you must create an anchor. In this example A is the anchor that is labeling A section.
<a>A section</a>
So therefore when you type <a href="#A">Click here to skip to the A section</a> 
You will be taken to A section if you click on Click here to skip to the A section

If you want to link to an anchor on another page then you will need to:

  1. Know the URL of the page
  2. Know the anchor you want on that page
So if the url was http://www.tips4pc.com and it had the #A anchor on it then you would type:
<a href=”http://www.tips4pc.com#A”>Click here to skip to the A section</a>
Now that would take you to http://www.tips4pc.com and look for an anchor A.
Any further questions on this subject please join the PC Tips Forum for friendly free advice and help.
See this article What is BBC code and how do you write BBC code in a forum post? for more details about BBC code.

0 comments:

Post a Comment