,

Your IP Address

what is my ip address?

How to Find Files on Your Computer (Windows Vista)

Sometimes when I save a file on my computer, I don't pay attention to where the file gets saved.  There are also times when I try to remember where I saved a file after I haven't used it in a long time.  For situations like that, or anytime that you need to find a file on your computer, you can use the MS Windows search feature.

The various versions of MS Windows have different methods for performing a file search.  In this Windows tips and tricks post, I will show you how to search for files with Windows Vista.  I will create another post later that also shows how to search for files in Windows XP and Windows 7.

Windows Vista SearchWhen you click on the Start button in Windows Vista, the Windows menupops up.  At the bottom of the pop up is the search box.

To perform a basic search, you can type information into the box that saysStart Search.  As you type, files and programs are automatically displayed for you.

You are also given an option at the bottom of the search window to Search Everywhere or to Search on the Internet.  The Search Everywhere entry really means everywhere on your computer.

To perform an advanced search, click on the Search Everywhere link.  After you click on the link, a search results window will open.  In the window, you can click on options at the top of the screen to search for all files (which is the default), or to search for just e-mail, documents, pictures, music or other.

You can also select the Search Tools button at the top of the page to change various settings such as searching just for file names or searching for contents within a file.

Overall, the search feature in Windows Vista is pretty powerful and fast.  Play around with the search feature to see how well it works for you.  I use it a lot because I have so much stuff on my computer, and I'm not very good at organizing my files.

0 comments:

Post a Comment